Pixel Gun 3D Review – A unique mixture of FPS gameplay and pixelated graphics
App Type: Games
By: Alex Krasnov
Version #: 3.1
Date Released: 2013-08-23
Developer: Pixel Gun 3D -Support
Price: $0.99User Rating:
Generally, 8Bit games are confined to puzzles and endless runners while first-person shooters boast stunning and realistic graphics. Pixelated FPS games are a rare breed, limited to a few popular titles like Doom II or Wolfenstein. Pixel Gun 3D is the new sibling which has been clinging to the Top Paid games for some time. Lets see why!
To start with, it is the zombie story all over again, but in a better way.
You’re left in the open, vulnerable to the undead and with just a revolver at hand. Roam around the map and dozens of’em charge towards you. The mission: eliminate all monsters without getting yourself zombified. Let me warn you, this game is a lot harder than an average RPG.
The arena’s are cross connected and strategically designed with multiple areas of interest, reminding us of the classic Counter Strike. Move tactically, collect power-ups and shoot to kill. The game is extremely flexible with dozens of Maps like Shooting range, Prison, Hospital, Pool, Soccer ground and Street, a huge collection of Weapons including Axe, Knife, guns like Pistol, Shotgun, Uzi and Ak, plently of Power-ups like ammo, weapons, life and hidden gems with a variety of Villains like zombies, ghosts, dogs, cut heads, spiders, slender man, dolls and birds. Quite a handful!
Pixel Gun 3D provides two modes. In Survival mode, take out everyone and proceed in maps till you become one of them. The Multiplayer mode lets your rub your FPS skill with others, locally or overseas. Here, you have unlimited lives but the one who reaches 10 kills first is declared the winner.
The graphics, of course, is 8bit type but not as crude as some other games like SuperBrothers: Sword and Sorcery. Sound effects are great and so are the controls. In-app purchases can help you restore your health, fill your clip, get more weapons or even resurrect you with a cup of elixir.
Execution wise, absence of head shots is a real disappointment as far as I am concerned. Though many zombies are headless and others double-headed, a single bullet to blow up brains always gives you a rush. I really miss that in Pixel Gun 3D. Also, a map or even a radar system like in Dead Trigger would be appreciated.
A unique thing about the game is that it comes with a free skin-maker for PC edition of Minecraft. I’m not sure why, but if it is intended to clock more purchases, it is certainly working well.
After all these clutter, let me come to the final word. Pixel Gun 3D is a harder and more addictive FPS game than the lot. But absence of headshots and eye popping visuals will surely be missed. So if you’re ok with the block world, this is one game that should not be missed.
My current high score is around 60k. What’s yours? Though not a awesome score, I have come up with a few tips to help you guys:
- Keep moving: Zombies just keep rushing towards you in groups and the best way to deal with them is to turn towards them and run backwards. Don’t forget to keep shooting.
- Find power up spots: The collectibles and powers constantly appear at certain spots like inside the church or over the pool. Find them and lurk around.
- Like in any similar game, revolver and shotgun are best for close combats while Ak and Uzi for long shots.
- Strategic spots: I have noticed that the villains can’t see you after a particular range while your bullets go unlimitedly in a straight line. So find far-away points where you can take advantage of this.
- Again like in most similar games, you can run a lot faster with a knife or pistol than with a machine gun.
Would I Buy Again:Yes.
Who Is It For:FPS and 8Bit lovers.
What I Like:The addiction.
What I Don't Like:No head shots.
Final Statement:A unique mixture of FPS gameplay and pixelated graphics.
Now you have a perfect chance to battle with your friends, classmates and colleagues or anyone else around the world! You can create and customize your character using a special skinmaker and then show off on the battle field!
* Update with bugs fixes for WORLDWIDE mode is already in review. Please don't write bad reviews. Thanks for understanding.
*** MULTIPLAYER DEATHMATCH ***
Multiplayer mode benefits:
• WOWLDWIDE and local
• 9 unique maps of various shapes and sizes;
• varied weaponry, ranging from Magic Bow, Combat M16 Rifle, Golden Desert Eagle to the simpliest things, in case you want to butcher smn with a knife;
• 10 players in one game support;
• challenging and exciting experience that can really get you hooked!
*** SURVIVAL CAMPAIGN ***
In that mode your character is “face to face” to hordes of zombies attacking you from all sides. But you have to wipe them out otherwise you are doomed!
Your only, but not the simpliest goal is to whack monsters. Having made mincemeat of them, you will be able to open the portal to the next fields!
New cool features in campaign mode:
• a new training camp for first-timers;
•more detailed graphics;
• more challenging gameplay: now you are not able to pass through enemies. Watch out for narrow passages and lanes! There you stand almost no chance at life!
Make up your mind about the gun (though you can prefer a bow or knife) and polish up your killing skills! Perform at your best and share it on Facebook and Twitter!
Main Features of campaign mode:
•Wide choice of armoury, such as Colt, Heavy machine gun, AK47, UZI, and many others;
• 10 cool absolutely different maps;
• Many types of zombies and enemies;
• Awesome HD pixel graphics with dynamic light;
• Breathtaking sound effects ! Use headphones for maximum fun!
*** SKINS MAKER ***
Pixlgun 3D is not only an awesome 3D shooter but also a useful SKINS MAKER for your character in Minecraft! Using this tool you can choose one of the presets or customize your own skin with the help of special drawing tools. Then you can upload skin to your Mojang account and play Minecraft with fun at your computer (unfortunately, skins maker is available only for PC version of Minecraft, because the iPhone/ iPad d operating systems don’t support these functions)
Thank you for all the comments, we really appreciate it. In this version we tried to fulfill your wishes and pieces of advice. Wait for the next updates with new benefits!
Article By Roshan
From the first iPod Touch till the new iPad Mini, Roshan has loved each of his iDevices and has been busy tweaking and getting the most out of them. As a Med student from India, he splits his time between studying corpse and writing about his iOS passion. When not on the web, you could find him glued to TV Shows, movies or the bed! Recently, he has taken upon the role of an appreneur and is currently working on a revolutionary new app, Cyan for Facebook.
roshan has written 177 awesome app reviews.