Save the Pencil – Review – Dot-to-dot has never been this challenging
App Type: Games
By: Paul Davis
Version #: 1.01
Date Released: 2011-12-09
Developer: Paul Davis
Price: FreeUser Rating:
It’s always pleasing to see a game that manages to be completely original while at the same time retaining the kind of simplicity that the iPhone is renowned for harbouring.
Save the Pencil fits into the aforementioned category. In it, you control HB, a pencil with personality who must join all the dots together on a page, collect stars along the way, and end up on the concluding red dot. While you can go over certain dots more than once, most disappear after you draw over them, so planning ahead is a must. Essentially, it’s an advanced game of dot-to-dot.
The game also puts time pressure on you, as various obstacles, such as evil gliding paperclips and rubbers, obstruct your path. So it’s not just a matter of planning, but of speed and timing also. There are four massive chapters for you to play through, each defined by a different kind of paper (lined, squared etc.). What’s more, each of these chapters contains a unique boss that you must solve.
Save the Pencil features full Game Center support, and is one of those games that’s looking set to receive regular free updates due to its popularity. With its intense but brain-teasing style of gameplay, this game deserves a place among the Cut the Rope’s and Angry Birds of the world as minimal iPhone classic.
Would I Buy Again:Yes.
Who Is It For:Dot-to-dot/puzzle game enthusiasts.
What I Like:Looks simple but is actually a tough challenge.
What I Don't Like:What's not to like about dot-to-dot.
Final Statement:The most advanced game of dot-to-dot you'll ever play.
• App Gamer - "A game that will test your brain and dexterity. Its uncluttered graphics and cheery nature help to make this a puzzle you'll be coming back to."
• App Addict - "Cute & Fun."
• iPhones.ru - "The conclusion is simple - if you like puzzles Save the pencil is must buy."
• App Advice - "A good fit for puzzle fans."
The world could be about to change. The future of the pencil is in doubt. Your quest, to Save the Pencil, begins here!
"It's Join The Dots - But Not As You Know It!"
You are HB; young, sharp and full of lead. A pencil on a mission to join the dots but there’s a rebellion in the stationery cupboard! The paper clips, rulers, erasers and their friends are angry, and they’ll do anything to stop you. Guide HB to safety and collect the bonus stars to unlock more challenging levels!
Each of the 60 levels across 4 different chapters requires skill, logic and speed. Only the most precise tappers will be able to collect three stars on every level!
Can you unlock all of the Game Center achievements?
Save The Pencil Highlights:
• Fun, addictive gameplay with plenty of variety. Tap the dots to move HB safely through each level.
• 60 challenging puzzles across 4 chapters will keep you tapping away.
• Full Game Center integration, with chapter leaderboards and over 20 achievements to earn.
• Collect three stars on every level. Some may be simple, but others are perplexing!
• Regular updates providing new levels and new enemies.
• End of chapter bosses offer a unique challenge.
• Different enemies interact with gameplay in different ways. Dodge paperclips, avoid spinning rulers, race erasers, and more!
• All your favourite stationery characters in one game!
• Full Retina Display support.
Article By Robert Zak
I'm an up-and-coming freelance writer (or so I like to think) specialising in film, apps and gaming. Aside from writing app reviews on what sometimes feels like a mass scale, I've also contributed work to The Independent and IGN.com, and am on the writing team of the popular Lifestyle blog, WhatCulture.com. Like what you see? Follow me on Twitter @Rob_Zed and get in touch!
robert-zak has written 99 awesome app reviews.