Foursquare Review – Stalker Bait
App Type: Uncategorized
By: Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Version #: 6.2.1
Date Released: 2013-06-07
Developer: Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Price: FreeUser Rating:
There’s like a gazillion different social media platforms to manage nowadays. From Instagram posting photos of your latest escapades to Twitter where every thought of yours is broadcasted to pretty much everyone you know or more, to the all-in-one Facebook that seems to serve as the holy grail of social media at present. Then you have Foursquare, which allows you to share you location with your friends.
Foursqure takes a gaming approach to social media, which is a relatively fresh concept to the social media fraternity. Here, users literally check into locations they visit by updating the app with their locations. Badges are unlocked by checking in to specific places or fulfilling other similar criteria. Players can also vie to be the ‘mayor’ of an establishment by having the highest check-in frequency.
That aside, if we were to look at proper functionality, Foursquare allows users to leave comments detailing their experience at the places they visited. These comments are then passed on to other users who visit the same place later on. As such, this gives users a brief idea of what to expect of their visit.
The app keeps everything nice and tidy with a clean navigational layout that clearly displays everything from photos to relevant details.
While a really novel concept, call me conservative but I shudder at the lack of privacy social media has caused for us nowadays.
Would I Buy Again:Definitely
Who Is It For:Social media fanatics
What I Like:The badges and mayor concept
What I Don't Like:Privacy intrusion
Final Statement:If you have no qualms about letting everyone know everything about you...
• Find great places on the go
• Record and share where you’ve been
• See where friends like to go
• Get money-saving specials and rewards
35 million people use Foursquare to to find out where friends and locals love to go. Don’t waste time reading long reviews from strangers. Wherever you are in the world, open up Foursquare to see where your friends like to go, and get recommendations for the best restaurants, bars, and sights in the area. We analyze our millions of tips, likes, and over 3.5 billion check-ins to show you the most-loved places in any city.
• Get instant suggestions when you open the app, like breakfast spots in the morning, dinner after a movie, or sights if you’re traveling in a new place
• See where friends go, and when they’re nearby
• Easily search for “Thai,” “park,” or “brunch”
• Get directions, menus, hours, photos, and more
• Filter by distance, price, specials, what’s open, places you haven’t been, and more
• Make OpenTable reservations within the app
• Get tips from friends, top publications and brands
• Keep track of where you’ve been
• Like or dislike places and leave tips for friends
• Save places to your to-do list
• We learn your tastes the more you check in
Don’t miss out on the good stuff. Download the app today and start making the most of where you are.
Article By Eng Wei Jie
A water polo player from Singapore, Wei Jie devotes most of his time to training. However, when he's not occupied by water training or pushing himself in the gym, expect to see him squinting at his iPhone testing out new apps.
eng-wei-jie has written 308 awesome app reviews.