HERE Maps Review – Another Worthy Apple Competitor
On November 26, 2012
App Type: Uncategorized
By: Nokia gate5 GmbH
Version #: 1.8
Date Released: 2012-11-19
Developer: Nokia gate5 GmbH
Price: 0User Rating:
With the perceived weakness of Apple’s revised built-in mapping application, it was only a matter of time before other companies got in on the act. This includes a well-known company called Nokia, which has its own cell phone empire. But is it worth the download? Does it stack up against Apple’s product? Yes and no.
Like Apple’s Maps, it has flaws. Pinch and zoom is slightly buggy. For example, if what you want to zoom into is on the side of the map, rather than locate your fingers, the app only zooms into the center of the map. Even in terms of its general presentation, it’s not that impressive. There are voice directions, but only one voice to choose from and unavailable when driving. It’s only for walking.
Of course, the app has some nice features such as live traffic and a public transportation view. The app even provides walking directions for the pedestrian in us. Unlike Apple’s Maps, they haven’t misplaced anything in the ocean.
HERE Maps isn’t vector-based like Apple’s, so the loading of maps is slower. There are also no 3D views or any of the impressive bells and whistles of Apple’s offering. There is a social media aspect which lets you share places of interest, but so what?
Given that the app is free, it’s worth one’s time to download and experiment with. However, it’s not quite refined enough to be serious competition to Apple’s built-in offering. The real competition will take place when Google finally releases its own mapping application.
Would I Buy Again:For free? Sure.
Learning Curve:Low to Medium.
Who Is It For:Pedestrians, mostly.
What I Like:Good set of capabilities.
What I Don't Like:Mediocre presentation. Can't use voice directions for driving.
Final Statement:HERE Maps is a swing and a miss, for now.
• Map views – Pick the map you need from map view, live traffic view, public transport line view or satellite view
• Save map areas & wander without data coverage
• In selected countries, access community maps created and updated by users
• Maps, search and place coverage for nearly 200 countries
• Search with history and suggestions
• Share places with just a tap, including the location and how to get there, over SMS, email, or social networks
• Organize places you love into Collections
• Sign in to HERE Maps with your Nokia Account or Facebook login
• Sync with Here.net – Access your Collections anywhere
• Step-by-Step voice-guided walk navigation
• Walk navigation through pedestrian routes, parks, alleyways, and more
• Public transportation and driving directions
Article By BradT
bradt has written 504 awesome app reviews.