iOOTP Baseball 2013 Review – For The Real Fans
App Type: Uncategorized
By: Out of the Park Developments
Version #: 1.0.1
Date Released: 2013-05-03
Developer: Out of the Park Developments
Price: 4.99User Rating:
I must begin by admitting that I’m not a baseball lover, I didn’t even know how the game worked! However, iOOTP Baseball 2013 was so realistic it managed to teach me the basic concepts of baseball and I now have a brief understanding on how the actual sport works.
I would say pretty much all sport simulating games claim to be the most realistic there is but iOOTP Baseball 2013 does hold a certain degree of legitimacy to this claim. Previous baseball simulators I’ve played claimed to emulated the sport pound for pound but seemed more like a fantasy world where the actual rules of the sport held no proper bearing over the game.
So imagine how amazed I was when I first launched this app. Well, confused would be a more appropriate term for lack of a better word to use. I had no idea what the different baseball lingo meant but the app made it a breeze to guide new players like me through.
Choose from 3 different game modes to get a different perspective playing the game. The depth of being a team manager extends to even having control over non-playing staff on the team. Legit baseball buffs will also love the ability to replay supposedly classical seasons of the past. Whats more, they are given a shot to change history.
I was also surprised by the play commentary provided by the app, which was rather interesting at first but seemed to serve more as filler or comedic relief after a while. Think FIFA series commentary.
So for a game priced at $4.99, I’d say it is a little pricy. But for the depth of content available it is definitely worth the purchase.
Would I Buy Again:Yes
Learning Curve:Complicated, but that is expected of such a complex game.
Who Is It For:Baseball fans
What I Like:The depth the game has
What I Don't Like:Gameplay pretty much turns into pointless grinding after a while
Final Statement:Ready your pitching gloves
"With a great menu system driving the entire game, excellent AI, and the ability to micro-manage almost everything you could dream of in a sports game, it's hard to want anything else of a mobile baseball management sim." (Touch Arcade)
"Baseball freaks who want that heavily stat-based front office experience will find a rich and detailed sim." (GamerPops)
"The only baseball sim I've ever gotten addicted to." (Curt Schilling)
PLEASE NOTE: The iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd gen or older are NOT supported!
New features in iOOTP Baseball this year:
- Real 2013 rosters! Every player on every major league team is available, along with the top 20 minor league prospects for each team. Major league player ratings are based on PECOTA by Baseball Prospectus, the best player projection system today.
- Unlock exciting achievements
- Redesigned interface
- Improved play-by-play commentary and news stories
- Brand new Trading AI
- Recoded & much more realistic player creation
- New player development system
- Improved roster & contract negotiation AI
- Historical career play with real rookie import each season (requires successive years via in-App purchase)
- Universal build, the iPad HD version is included for free!
- Plenty of small tweaks & improvements
iOOTP Baseball 2013 features a living world that uses the same robust simulation engine found in Out of the Park Baseball for Mac and PC, the best-selling and best-rated baseball management game of all time. Out of the Park Baseball is the second-highest-rated PC game ever on Metacritic and also received the PC Gamer Sports Game of the Year Award.
The game offers three gameplay modes:
- Major Leagues: Choose a team and play out the 2013 season. Will Strasburg dominate the NL? How will Hamilton perform in LA? Find out!
- Fictional: iOOTP creates one of four fictional baseball worlds and populates it with fresh players and clubs. Select a team and build a dynasty from scratch.
- Historical Replay: Choose one of three past seasons -- 1901, 1902, or 2009 -- and see if it produces a different outcome. Every other year in history is available as in-app purchase!
After selecting a gameplay mode, choose a team and handle every aspect of managing it:
- Manage your team, set lineups, depth charts, pitching staff and more!
- Call the shots from the dugout and watch the games unfold.
- Step into the shoes of the General Manager: Negotiate contracts, sign free agents, put together trades, draft amateurs, promote players from the minors etc.
During games, the play-by-play text is generated from a huge database of tens of thousands of lines that bring the action alive. Bottom of the ninth, two outs, bases loaded, you're down by two runs and you have your best hitter stepping to the plate against your opponent's rock-solid closer ... What will happen next?
During the season, news tickers bring you headlines from around the leagues! Your biggest rival just pulled off a blockbuster trade with the trading deadline looming ... How will you respond?
As iOOTP's living world evolves, players develop their careers, age, and eventually retire, with a possible spot in the Hall of Fame waiting for them. New players drafted by you and groomed in the minors take their place and become the next generation of superstars.
iOOTP Baseball is the ultimate game for baseball fans!
Visit us on www.ootpdevelopments.com!
Article By Eng Wei Jie
A water polo player from Singapore, Wei Jie devotes most of his time to training. However, when he's not occupied by water training or pushing himself in the gym, expect to see him squinting at his iPhone testing out new apps.
eng-wei-jie has written 308 awesome app reviews.