iTunes Movie Trailers Review – See what’s coming to theaters, before it does
App Type: Uncategorized
Version #: 1.0.1
Date Released: 2011-10-18
Price: FreeUser Rating:
Movie trailers have always been sort of a side hobby for Apple. Now this hobby seems to be getting some attention, as Apple has released an app specifically for movie trailers.
When you first open iTunes Movie Trailers on either your iPhone or iPad, you’ll find the trailer layout very similar to the Apple TV’s graphic-based layout. Here you can scroll and search based on movie art, or simply search for whatever trailer you are looking to watch and then watch it on your device or on your TV, through AirPlay.
A nice calendar feature is included with this app. From here, you can see all upcoming theater releases, along with past releases. I can easily see movies that were released many months ago, and check movies that are expected in the somewhat-distant future (The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises are slated to hit theaters July of next year, for example).
If you are a bit overwhelmed by the selection of trailers and cannot decide what movie to see at the theater, the Top 25 section can help. It allows you to see the top 25 most popular trailers, the most popular movies currently in theaters, the top 25 recently reviewed movies from Rotten Tomatoes, and the top 25 movies available on iTunes.
Now that you have a movie in mind, all you need is a time… and this app can help with that too! It will ask you for your location and then display all times for movies at your local theater in a beautiful and intuitive display.
Finally, there is a nice favorites section, where you can easily make a list of movies that you wish to watch in the near future.
Like all of Apple’s other apps, this one is gorgeous. It has red and gold, red carpet-like tabs which are unique to this app, along with the previously mentioned Apple TV-like interface, which works as well on your mobile device as it does on your television.
But the app isn’t perfect. It can’t display Rotten Tomato ratings for older movies like the Movies by Flixster app can. I found it strange that this app focuses on trailers (movies currently in theaters and those that will be in theaters soon), yet the app will still pull up some older releases. It should give access to only new movies, or to all movies, and it is currently somewhere in between.
It is a free app, though, and it’s definitely worth a shot. If you are into movies, that is.
Would I Buy Again:Yes.
Who Is It For:Those who enjoy movie trailers.
What I Like:This app gives you access to all new movie trailers.
What I Don't Like:You cannot view the Tomatometer for any movie.
Final Statement:The app is just what you'd expect from Apple: beautiful and useful.
• Access hundreds of movie trailers, clips, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and images, available in HD or SD.
• Explore an interactive, year-long release calendar that helps you plan when you'll be going to the theaters.
• Save favorite movies and theaters for immediate access anytime.
• Search what’s playing at your local theaters and purchase tickets directly from your iPad or iPhone.
• Save images to your iPad photo gallery, to use as iPad or desktop wallpapers or send to your friends.
• Browse top charts to view the most downloaded trailers, box office rankings, and top movies on iTunes to buy or rent.
• Enjoy your favorite movie trailers on your TV with AirPlay and Apple TV.
• Email or tweet trailer recommendations to your friends.
• Use iCloud to push your favorite theaters and movie trailers to all of your iOS devices.
• iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch (3rd generation), or iPod touch (4th generation) is required.
• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch must have iOS 4.3 or later.
• Syncing with iCloud requires iOS 5 or later and a valid iCloud account.
• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with internet access using Wi-Fi or 3G.
Article By andrew_webster
andrew-webster has written 67 awesome app reviews.