Kingdom Rush Frontiers Review – Great game but severely overpriced
App Type: Uncategorized
By: Ironhide Game Studio
Version #: 1.1
Date Released: 2013-07-05
Developer: Ironhide Game Studio
Price: 2.99User Rating:
I’ve always believed that long and fanciful names usually meant a game was too good to be true. Because most of the fancy app names I’ve come across usually embodied disappointing games.
I was wrong.
I love a great tower defense game, and I’ve mentioned more than once that I’ve been struggling to find the perfect one for me. I think I’ve found it in Kingdom Rush Frontiers, but with a huge drawback – It’s way to expensive to sustain.
But we’ll get to that later.
A wonderful game, Kingdom Rush Frontiers has all the elements to that perfect tower defense platform. A cheesy storyline, cool turrets, awesome mazes for your victims to navigate through as well as breathtaking animations. With various themes ranging from pirates to dragons, it’s not that hard to imagine why I was quickly hooked onto the game.
In true tower defense fashion though, you’ll have to plan your moves wisely. With very limited resources and a seemingly infinite hoard of enemies coming your way, you’ll have to strategically pick out where you want to place your turrets and whatnot.
However, the main concern of the game I have to highlight would the exorbitant price. For a game that costs $2.99 I would expect full content to be made right from the very beginning. However, much to my chagrin, I was left with very limited resources in the form of 3 pretty pathetic ‘heroes’ to start my journey with. If I wanted anything better I would have to spend even more on additional heroes which individually ranged in prices but all were more expensive than the app itself.
Absurd, isn’t it?
It’s a great game nonetheless, but this staggering price might just be the downfall of Kingdom Rush Frontiers.
Would I Buy Again:No
Learning Curve:Moderate. Ample time to learn how the game works before actual action kicks in
Who Is It For:Tower defense buffs
What I Like:The gameplay is great
What I Don't Like:The price staging is too much
Final Statement:This game would have scored better if money wasn't such a crucial factor
Bigger and badder than ever before, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is a whole new level of the furiously fast, enchantingly charming gameplay that made the original title an award-winning hit. Tap your troops through an epic (mis)adventure as you defend exotic lands from dragons, man-eating plants, and ghastly denizens of the underworld -all with flashy new towers, levels, heroes, and more goodies to help you crush your foes to a pulp. (Don't worry, we've still got all the good ol' stuff from the last game, too. It's vintage now.)
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers packs in so much content, it's like a fully upgraded artillery blast of mouthwatering, pixelated joy launched right into your smiling little face... and it hurts so good!
• Fortify the frontier in exotic news lands - hold the line in deserts, jungles and even the underworld!
• Eight new specialized tower upgrades! Slice, sizzle, and stomp your foes with Crossbow Forts, Mighty Templars, Necromancers, and even Earthquake Machines - hey, we told you we were shaking things up.
• Over 18 tower abilities! Unleash Death Riders, pestilence clouds, or Assassins that steal and kill your enemies!
• Over 40 enemies with unique abilities! Stay on your toes as you fight through desert sandworms, tribal shamans, nomad tribes and underground terrors.
• Nine legendary heroes. Choose your champions and train their abilities!
• Special units and features on every stage! Watch out for the Black Dragon!
• Merciless boss fights! Hey, we told you to get those upgrades...
• Hours of gameplay with over 70 achievements!
• Classic, Iron, and Heroic game modes to challenge your tactical skills!
• Three difficulty modes! Are you up for a real challenge? Go with Hard mode!
Intoxicating charm with a rousing score, full-bodied voice-overs and lovingly illustrated cartoon art! (Complete with cartoon blood, naturally.)
• In-game encyclopedia! True warriors know thine enemies... and their towers. Study up!
PRAISE FOR KINGDOM RUSH: IGN Editor's Choice, Slide To Play Must Have, 148 Apps Editor's Choice, Jay is Games Game of the Year, Pocket Gamer Gold Award, Touch Arcade 4.5/5, CNET. Best iPad Games
Compatible with: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 and iPod 3,4 and 5 Generation.
Have an iPad? Buy Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD instead! This version is designed for iPhone/iPod devices.
Article By Eng Wei Jie
A water polo player from Singapore, Wei Jie devotes most of his time to training. However, when he's not occupied by water training or pushing himself in the gym, expect to see him squinting at his iPhone testing out new apps.
eng-wei-jie has written 308 awesome app reviews.