Official GA DNR Outdoors Guide- Pocket Ranger – Review
App Type: Uncategorized
By: ParksByNature Network
Version #: 4.2.0
Date Released: 2012-01-04
Developer: ParksByNature Network
Price: freeUser Rating:
To begin, the ParksByNature Network actually has apps covering a number of American states, however for the purposes of this review, the state of Georgia will be used. Needless to say, if you’re an outdoorsy type, this app is a very handy thing to have.
This free iPhone app does a LOT. For one thing, it’s a GPS for hikers. If you get lost or hurt in a park, it can send an alert with the tap of a button from a list of phone or text numbers (which have to be input yourself). While the app uses the iPhone GPS as a map, it can download copies so you don’t have to worry about losing a signal while hiking. You can even download park maps.
Other capabilities: you can view the map by road, satellite or hybrid. You can keep track of waypoints and trails. You can take pictures directly from the app, making note of the location and share them on Facebook, Twitter or Flickr. You can find local friends using the same app. You can find the nearest geocache. You can manually input waypoints.
The app can let you know the local weather and any weather alerts. It’s a compass. It lets you know of any nature events happening in the parks (biking, boating, hunting, etc.). It even has shortcuts to the web page for getting wildlife-related licenses.
In short, this app is everything that any naturist would love. Again, you don’t have to stick to Georgia, but if you do than this particular app is for you. Given the free price, it’s a steal.
Would I Buy Again:At this price? Sure.
Who Is It For:Naturists or those who like to hike and bike.
What I Like:Good layout. Great functionality.
What I Don't Like:Not much comes to mind.
Final Statement:The perfect app for the the Georgian in the Jungle.
Embrace the outdoors with the official guide to Georgia’s State Parks, Historic Sites & Wildlife Resources. Enrich your experience at Georgia’s State Hunting and Fishing Sites with this FREE mobile app—the only official state DNR app that allows you to access the most up-to-date facility & wildlife information. Stay current on things like upcoming events and weather conditions, as well as rules, regulations and licensing information. Outdoorsmen can find their next catch in the streams and reservoirs of the State Parks and take part in the state’s rich hunting tradition on the more than one million acres of public hunting grounds. Choose an area to visit by location or by activity, like camping or boating, and then enjoy the natural beauty that Georgia has to offer.
The app offers users increased performance and activation speed with multi-tasking capabilities, enhanced user navigation, detailed park maps and interactive GPS mapping guide for use in areas with little to no mobile reception.
Use the photo waypoint feature to snap a photo and mark and record the coordinates of plant life, animal species or landscape views. Post or share these remarkable trophies with family and friends with the click of a button. Hunters and fishermen can also drop a waypoint to easily mark their favorite spots.
Interactive GPS Feature for on/offline use
For more adventurous outdoor enthusiasts, try your hand at one of our GeoChallenges, which includes geocache and geoquest activities and games.
The enhanced features of the Pocket Ranger® apps utilize the functionality of an advanced handheld GPS device, making your park visit more memorable and fun through unique GPS capabilities.
With this FREE app, you can keep track of your friends on the trail, mark waypoints, record tracks, cache maps and share your activities with others.
• Work with content, maps and features on/offline.
• Interactive GPS mapping guide
• Geocaching activities and games
• GPS mapping options include Road, Satellite or Hybrid maps
• Easy-to-cache GPS Terrain Map tiles for on/offline use
• The GPS Parks Nearest Me feature will help locate parks nearest you
• The Friend Finder feature lets you keep track of companions while on a trail
• A built-in compass can help direct you
• Use the Longitude/Latitude positioning to navigate with ease
• Record, Save and Recall Tracks during your hike for future use
• Mark and Personalize Waypoints and Landmarks such as campgrounds, trailheads, fishing spots, parking areas and other points of interest
• Share photos, tracks, waypoints or current position with registered recipients through Facebook, Twitter or email.
• Export tracks and waypoints in .KML and .GPX formats by email
• Alert Communication feature lets your family and friends know your whereabouts
• Access information with ease? on/offline
• Search for activities of interest on-the-go
• Locate sites by park or state region?
• Cache and view detailed maps of park facilities, trails ?and campgrounds
• Access up-to-date park info ?
• Get directions to each site
?• Stay current on a park’s calendar of events ?
• Access online reservations
• Retrieve facility contact info (phone, address and email)
?• Receive news, alerts and weather updates
• Find information on a park’s accessibility, pet policy, tide charts, ozone and more
?• Share your experience through Facebook and Twitter?
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/pocketranger
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/pocketranger
• The enhanced pro features on the app are designed to function in areas with little to no mobile reception; however, some of the features require mobile data reception in order to function properly.
• Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Performance enhancements and minor bug fixes
Article By BradT
bradt has written 504 awesome app reviews.