War of Words review – A cut-throat take on more classic word games
App Type: Uncategorized
By: Wolf Studios, LLC
Version #: 3.0.3
Date Released: 2011-11-26
Price: FreeUser Rating:
I associate the word game Scrabble with grandparents, and intentionally losing to them so that they continue to feel in some way validated and grateful to be alive. In other words, it’s bleak. However, throw into it an arsenal of cunning rules and power-ups, and you have War of Words – a more Machiavellian take on the classic word game.
The goal of War of Words is simple; you and your opponents take it in turns to form words from random bunches of letters in a bid to end the game with the highest score. However, this game is about more than just letters. You can place tiles such as bombs, thieves, barricades and landmines to aid your cause, all of which foil your opponent’s meticulous word-placing.
There is a huge variety of boards to choose from, varying from basic Scrabble-like boards with word and letter multipliers, to vast tile-fields brimming with traps for players to fall into. Unfortunately, in a single game you can only play against one other player, but the level variety means that you won’t get bored quickly.
War of Words makes clever use of Push Notifications, meaning that you can have up to 30 games going at once, and don’t need to worry about playing your words too quickly. This also makes the game dangerously addictive, as you’ll be checking your phone at all hours of the day to see if your opponent’s made their move. There is also a Pass-&-Play mode for the more sociable players.
Game-finding couldn’t be easier. You can challenge people via Game Center, Facebook, Twitter and e-mail. Or, if you lack in friends, you’ll have no trouble finding someone completely random to take on. War of Words adds a welcome cut-throat edge to more classic word games such as Scrabble, and is damn fun to play as a result.
Would I Buy Again:Yes
Who Is It For:War-mongering Scrabble players
What I Like:Great online play system
What I Don't Like:Limited to 1-on-1 games
Final Statement:Adds a touch of evil to classic word games
EVERYONE LOVES WAR OF WORDS!
"In comparison to War of Words, [those other word games] are so innocent." —TiPb
"Thankfully a spelling game where the favor tends to lean on my side." —App Store Arcade
"War of Words is so much more fun and as addictive as [those other word games]. It adds a whole new twist to the same ol' crossword-type game." —klever
"For a crossword addict like myself, this game takes it to a whole new level of fun! Love it and can't stop playing!" —Redheadedplayer
INNOVATIVE NEW GAMEPLAY:
- Start with the standard online crossword gameplay you know and love
- No longer limited to just letters – War of Words introduces Action Tiles!
- Bomb Tiles let you destroy your opponent’s letters
- Thief Tiles allow you to steal words from the other player
- Drop Land Mine Tiles to catch your opponent unaware
- Play your own Multiplier Tiles to get the score of your dreams
- Reverse Tiles let you play a word backwards
- Start Over Tiles let you start a word anywhere on the board – without connecting to another word
- Use an Extra Turn Tile to play two turns in a row
- Barricade Tiles let you block strategic locations on the board
- Shield Tiles protect areas from your opponent
- Wildcards can be multiple letters at the same time
- Many different board layouts to try
- Play online with up to 30 friends at once, or play at home with friends using Pass and Play
- Start a Random game to get into the action fast
- Online leaderboards let you compare your best scores against your friends – and the world!
- Over 90 achievements to keep your games interesting
- Word definitions for those crazy plays
A TRULY SOCIAL EXPERIENCE:
- Instantly start a game with any of your Game Center friends
- Online chat
- Push notifications let you know when to play
- Invite friends using Facebook, Twitter, or email
- Find friends using your contact list, their email address, Game Center nickname, and more
- Supports iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 2nd Generation, iPod Touch 3rd Generation, iPod Touch 4th Generation, iPad, and iPad 2
- Requires iOS 4.3 or higher
- Requires an active Game Center account
- A connection to the Internet is required (cellular or Wi-Fi)
TROUBLESHOOTING & HOW TO PLAY:
- Answers to most questions can be found under the Help & Rules menu option (start with the Frequently Asked Questions)
- If the game freezes, crashes, has a difficult time connecting or gives you other trouble, first try restarting your device
- Next, make sure you have a good connection to the Internet
- If you’re still having problems, send an email to [email protected]
Watch the trailer at: www.wordswithbombs.com
Our Facebook page is a great way to connect with other players and ask questions: www.facebook.com/WarOfWords
Please refrain from treating reviews as bug reports or feature requests. Instead, contact us at [email protected] We're always happy to help our players or receive their comments!
See you on the battlefield!
Article By Robert Zak
I'm an up-and-coming freelance writer (or so I like to think) specialising in film, apps and gaming. Aside from writing app reviews on what sometimes feels like a mass scale, I've also contributed work to The Independent and IGN.com, and am on the writing team of the popular Lifestyle blog, WhatCulture.com. Like what you see? Follow me on Twitter @Rob_Zed and get in touch!
robert-zak has written 99 awesome app reviews.